Sunset School is proud to report a 47 point API gain! The target growth for Sunset for the 2012 testing period was a 5 points! The Academic Performance Index (API) is a result the California Standards Test students took in the spring of 2012. Students will test again this year in spring. Sunset recorded the highest gain of all elementary Schools in the Ventura Unified School District and the 5th highest elementary score increase in the entire county of Ventura.
WHY SUCH GROWTH!!??
Sunset can attribute its fantastic growth to numerous factors, just some of which include:
- Strategic targeted instruction in small groups through the Universal Access time for all students
- Intervention and acceleration in both Language Arts and math
- Increased academic awards and incentives school wide including perfect attendance awards, accelerated Reader Points Club awards, and quarterly student recognition awards programs.
- Motivated student body! What student wouldn’t want to do their best when their teachers perform a “CST rap”, there is a “testing dance party” and they get motivational treats every day of the test? J
SOME OF THE HIGHLIGHTS!
- 8th graders scores highest in the district in science with 78% of students being proficient or advanced!
- 5th grade math scores showed a 29% increase in students moving into the proficient and advanced bands
- Subgroups at Sunset showed huge growth; English Language Learners made a 54 point jump!
- 67% of 8th grade Algebra One students scored proficient or advanced, 2nd graders had an 18% increase in proficient in Language Arts and a 14 % increase in math, 3rd graders showed a 22% increase in language Arts and a 10% increase in math proficiency!
On November 9th Sunset students and staff will celebrate our huge growth and success! You are welcome to join us!! From 11:30 – 12:55 on Friday November 9th we will have an all school celebration where students will dance to music, eat a special lunch and play games as a community!